Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Flexible Edits

Before:













After:













Camera: Canon Powershot
1: Sunset; 5/9/10; 7:35pm; Idaho Falls; f/2.8; 1/125; level adjustment
Not a Huge change. But I used the level adjustment make the water and bridge lighter, and then masked the sky so that I could keep the beautiful sunset. Also I added a photo filter to bring out the blue in the water, and the orange in the sky. Last I used the vibrance adjustment to the sky.
I learned that adjustment layers are great because if you don't like it anymore you can just send it to the trash, and it doesn't affect your photo.  I also learned on this photo about centering your camera on where you want the focus.  I pointed my camera at the sunset instead of on the water, which made the bridge dark.  But editing the darker part was easier than trying to get the color back! I just think that Idaho is so pretty, and spring nights rock!

Before:













After:

 












Camera: Canon Powershot
1: Sunset; 5/9/10; 6:50pm; Idaho Falls; f/2.8; 1/60; level adjustment, Curves adjustment, vinette, and a smart filter.
After adjusting the curves and levels, I used the Poster edges as a smart filter. Then to make the masking  easier I used the quick selection tool on the flower bunch so that the masking would only draw on the selected part. Then I used the vingette filter to lighten the edges. The flowers are just in my neighbors yard in Idaho Falls, but I really like the sun shining behind the flowers.

5 comments:

Kris Fryer said...

Great job on your edits as well! Levels was definitely a good choice to bring back the exposure a bit without over-exposing your sky.

Great job on your flower edit. It looks good. Keep up the good work!

Amber said...

I think that you did awesome. It looks like you learned a lot here too! I really like your photos and what you have done with them. I think each post of yours gets better and better! Great job!

Andrea said...

Great job bringing that detail back in the first picture and good choice on using levels.
I really like your flower picture. Its very fun and interesting!

sarahels said...

I really love the way the poster edges looks on the flowers. What a gorgeous picture! You also did a great job with the sunset and exposing the right parts of the picture. Good edits!

Anonymous said...

You lightened the canal and bridge very well.It doe snot look like you did it in photoshop it just looks like you set the shot up properly on sight.